Since October 2018, Google has been slowly rolling out its new Products (Beta) feature in Google My Business. The feature enables business owners to add products to their local search listings. They can even be arranged in ‘product collections’ – which allows users to view and search through all relevant products in that collection with ease.
This feature has been made available to small – medium-sized individual businesses; it has been noted that all categories of businesses, except for a few can utilise this new feature to showcase their products to potential customers.
How it Works
Products (Beta) allows your customers using search on the computer or on a mobile device to see your products. Retail merchants can upload products to their business listing in 2 different ways:
- Using the Product Editor
- Creating a product post
Consumers can then learn more about the products on offer by clicking through on your product catalogue and from product post carousels. Customers can also engage with your business easily.
Adding a Collection
To upload a collection to your Product Editor, follow these simple steps:
- From the desktop web Google My Business dashboard, navigate to the Products (Beta) tab. Then click ‘Add Products’.
- Give the new collection a name and a description (this is optional, but we would recommend filling in ask much detail as possible).
- Add at least one product to the collection. For each individual product, you will need to:
- Upload a photo
- Name the product
- Set a price
- Write an engaging description
- Click ‘Add collection’ to save
Managing your Collections
Within the Product Editor tab, you can add, edit, or delete products in your Product Catalogue.
- Add: To add products to an existing collection, click Add Product within the collection.
- Edit: To edit existing collections and products, click them directly.
- You can change the order of the products within the collection or the order of the collections themselves. To change the order of the items, click the three-dot icon and choose from the options; move up, move down, move to top, or move to bottom.
- Delete: To delete a product, click the three-dot icon next to it and choose, delete a product. To delete a collection, click the three-dot icon next to the title and choose delete collections and products. Note: deleting collections and products is currently irreversible.
How Consumers View your Products
When a potential consumer views your Google my Business listing from their mobile device, they’ll see a new Products tab. From here, they will be able to find two new carousels – Product Posts and Product Catalogue. Within the Products Posts section, it will display the products you have highlighted through dedicated product posts. The Products Catalogue carousel will display the product collections that you’ve added. This view enables consumers to:
- Tap a featured product card to see the product details
- Tap a collection to see an overview
- Tap a product within a collection to see the product details
- Chat or call your business to find out more, or head to an order online link
- Provide you with feedback about the usefulness of the product information